Guest blogger / author interview guidelines
Since I gave over my Friday posts to other authors, I have found it necessary to start implementing rules for submissions. They’re not too onerous and hopefully make sense, so if you want to be part of my Friday features, please take note.
- All posts must be family-friendly.
While I have no problem with more explicit content in itself, this blog is intended to remain suitable for all ages. As such, please leave out any swear words or, in fiction extracts, graphic violence or sex scenes.
- Content must be provided to me by 12.01am, GMT, on the Thursday prior to publication.
This is so I don’t spend my Thursday running around trying to chase people up for their copy. If you miss this deadline, I’ll run something else, and push you back to the back of the queue. It’s nothing personal; I’m just trying to limit my number of grey hairs. Please send all copy to emily[dot]wheeler02[at]yahoo[dot]com.
- Please provide any images and links you would like me to include.
I will include up to two images, but as many links as you like (within reason – I don’t want the post to be riddled with links), so long as you tell me where to link to. I would prefer not to have to chase you up for this information so if you can provide it straight off the bat I’d appreciate it.
- Word count should not exceed 1000.
I prefer posts to be around 500 words, but I will go up to 1000, including author bio, book synopsis and plugs for websites and blogs. If it goes over, I will send it back and ask you to edit it, so it’s much easier if you just send the shorter version in the first place.
- If I offer you a specific date for your post, and you do not accept or decline this offer by the time the previous week’s post goes up (ie 7 days in advance), you forfeit that slot.
I like to have an idea of whose post is going in when, for obvious reasons. If I haven’t heard back from you a week before your allocated slot, it will go to someone else and you will go to the end of the queue.
- Should you wish to reserve a particular week for your post (eg to coincide with a book launch), please notify me at least two months in advance.
I can’t guarantee I can give you the date you want, but I’ll certainly do my best. Obviously, the more advance warning you can give me, the more likely it is you’ll get the date you want.
- I reserve the right to make minor edits.
Even writers make typos and grammatical errors at times, and if I spot them in your copy, I’ll edit them out. I won’t change your meaning, but if you’re precious about every word, it would be a good idea to make sure your copy is error-free the first time. :)
- I reserve the right to amend these guidelines at any time.
While I don’t expect them to change much, experience is a great teacher so, should things not be going as smoothly as I would like, I’ll make changes here to try to rectify that. If you’re booked to do a post after amendments are made, I’ll let you know.
If you would like to be featured on my blog one Friday, please leave a comment below and I’ll get back to you about dates and formats. You may choose between a guest post, a book excerpt / short story, or an author interview; however, what you choose may rule out certain dates as I try to keep similar posts apart from each other.
I’m happy to review anyone’s book, and all you have to do to get on the list is to ask me (and, if possible, provide a copy in .mobi format). All book reviews will be cross-posted on Amazon and Goodreads, though I admit that this can take a little while as I forget sometimes. As for genre, I will generally read most types of fiction, though I prefer to avoid the following:
- Horror or anything with graphic violence. I can have a weak stomach.
- Anything overtly religious (in any religion). I’m not religious myself and as a result I just can’t relate to them.
- Anything that involves the death of a child as a major part of the story. As a mother I would prefer not to read anything that revolves around dead children.
Aside from those, though, I’m willing to give most things a go. The only thing to bear in mind is that I often have a long list of review books and, as I only post reviews every three weeks, it can take a very long time for reviews to be posted. If you’re willing for me to forego a review on this site and just post on Amazon and Goodreads, let me know because that will often happen much sooner.
Thank you for your understanding. :)